How to prevent slips, trips and falls this winter
Statistics don’t exaggerate: slips, trips and falls peak during the winter months. Walkways become wet and slippery as rain and leaves fall onto paths. As daylight dwindles the number of hazards increases.
Active housekeeping programs and raising awareness are two of the most common preparations that are undertaken to mitigate the risk of twisted ankles, concussions and broken bones. However, no amount of preparation of a winter safety plan and safety protocols will be effective without choosing safety footwear that is fit for purpose.
Our advice for preventing slips, trips and falls this winter - create a safety plan but make sure you have the right footwear too. The two actions go hand in hand.
Get your workforce involved in creating your Winter Safety Plan
One of the most effective techniques for reducing slips, trips and falls is involving the workforce in creating your Winter Safety Plan. Get everyone to contribute to the plan’s development, from simple tasks such as identifying hazards and creating housekeeping plans to solving bigger problems.
Getting involved helps workers take more of a vested interest. This embeds an attitude that everyone is responsible for winter safety, from the frontline workforce to the upper tiers of management.
As part of your winter safety plan, consider holding short safety talks on a single subject. For example, provide tips on how to walk on ice, or simply put up posters that give your workers helpful guidance that could prevent a fall.
The Importance of Selecting the Right Winter Footwear
No amount of preparation and safety protocols will be effective without choosing safety footwear that is fit for purpose. Does it offer proper grip for icy, wet conditions?
Selecting the right foot protection can protect your team against a range of seasonal risks and hazards. Footwear designed with anti-slip soles, waterproof upper sectors and insulation will keep your workers’ feet comfortable and firmly on the ground, even if they can’t see the surface they’re walking on!
A few of our recommended options include:
Warm Lined Hi Leg Boot - When temperatures fall, these hi-leg boots provide extra coverage and warmth.
- Green Alpha Comfort Plus Polyurethane Wellington Boot - These wellingtons are made for the harshest environments and provide excellent grip on slippery surfaces.
- iSafe Non-Metallic Waterproof Boot - With high-performance thermal insulation, these waterproof boots guarantee dry comfort down to -30 degrees.
- Panther InDry Waterproof Carbon Leather Hi-Leg Boot - Where rigger boots are banned, these are an effective waterproof alternative.
- Puma Waterproof Rigger Boot - A deluxe rigger boot that includes breathable Thinsulate lining to keep feet dry and warm.
- Bata OutDry Waterproof Derby Boot - With an innovative Tunnelsystem, these shock-absorbing waterproof boots keep feet dry while relieving pressure on joints.
- Bata Walkline Derby Boot With Scuff Cap - Walkline Footwear offers soles that use different materials and treads for an optimal grip. The right sole for every surface
For workers who needs extra slip protection, go one step further by providing an ice traction device for their footwear: for example the Ergodyne Ice Traction Device
Establishing a winter safety plan and investing in the right winter footwear can take a bit of time and effort, but if it can prevent slips, trips and falls, the time and any related costs will be well spent. Not only that, you’ll develop a proactive safety culture.
Expert advice on mitigating slips, trips and falls in the winter
Don't let the weather catch your workforce off-guard. Our team will meet with you to review your working conditions, job roles and, with this information, help identify the best winter footwear options and create winter outfits for your workers.
Take a look at some great footwear options, PPE and workwear layers on our Winter PPE page. Our early Bird discount offer expire 15th November 2018. Call us on 0800 328 5028 to request an appointment for assistance with selecting the right footwear for your workforce.